Monday, December 26, 2011

I am a Student of my Students


                     “Having a child does not make one a parent”. In such a way,  “having a pupil or a student does not make one a teacher” a dedicated educator should say. It does not follow that you are called to be a” teacher”  because you handle students. You may wonder why. Well, becoming a teacher does not end of getting a bachelor degree in education and having been passed the licensure exam. The crucial tasks begin when you start teaching and coming in every classroom.
                      When I was a new teacher, I taught high school students. All I knew about teaching then was to prepare lesson plans and give a student a passing or a failing mark. I didn’t realize that teaching does not end only there. My administrator always reminded me that teaching is shaping the holistic being of a child. You may have realized your objectives for that day but the very striking questions that she would throw me,……..Did your students learn from you? Did they become better persons every time you were there as a teacher? Though I did not understand what she was talking about, yet those questions continuously engulfing into my conscience that little by little it made me opened my eyes as I went on my teaching.

                      It was until I had given a chance to teach in the primary or elementary grade that I realized how important it is to be a teacher. Especially that I am teaching grade one students. Your values as a teacher are really crucial in the lives of every student. I am so watchful of my behavior in such a way I must show the good points and values in order for these little pupils to emulate. The way you behave as a teacher may play a great role in making or breaking the values of the students. Many would say it is easy to handle them because they are still young. But, nothing is more dangerous than leading these young students to a breaking situation that they may grow into a person with less sensitivity and values for others and for themselves. That is one thing I must not allow to happen because if I would be the cause of their breaking and influencing them to be an undesirable citizen then I should leave the most delicate profession in life- TEACHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment